Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Calming Brown Sugar Scrub



Rather than all things hearty and pink, I thought I'd give you all an easy Valentine's gift that can be quickly and cheaply be whipped up for all of your friends! This brown sugar facial scrub requires only a couple ingredients, and can be customized with any scent you enjoy.


To make this batch of sugar scrub you will need:

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oil or oils of choice (I used flax seed oil, extra virgin olive oil, jojoba, avocado and more can be used.)
4 drops lavender essential oil
8 drops tea tree essential oil


These scrubs are incredibly easy to make, just dump all of the above ingredients into a bowl, mix well and put into a lidded container of choice. I often use tiny mason jars, but if you don't want to have glass in your bathroom, plastic containers can be found that are also very cute.

If you have a hard time finding essential oils or a variety of the oils I have listed above, I have been known to order from Elements Bath and Body from tie to time. They have a flax seed oil I love that is much cheaper than what you will find in a grocery store as it is meant for soaps and cosmetic uses, not food grade.






If you have never used sugar scrub before, get ready for some super soft smooth feeling skin. I love every one I have ever made, and my sensitive skin usually gets dried out no matter what product I use. Just take a small scoop and add a few drops of water, then rub between your hands before applying to your face so it spreads evenly.



9 comments:

  1. Wow such a simple recipe, can't wait to give it a go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, I love this one so so much.

      Delete
  2. Tea tree and lavender...mmm...I've got to try that out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great!! How long does it stay good for?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making it in this quantity, it usually only lasts a couple weeks. If you want to make a larger batch and keep it fresh longer I recommend a few things to keep it good a longer amount of time:

      Add some vitamin E oil, it helps preserve the scrub.
      Use a clean spoon to scoop out the amount you need for each use to avoid contaminating the scrub.
      Refrigerate your scrub (this makes for a quite refreshing scrub as well!)

      Overall, I'd say you shouldn't keep your scrub longer than 1 month, but in the recipe above it is easy to make a small batch so you always have fresh face scrub!

      Delete
  4. Will the oil leave u with pimples...I have hereditary acne. X___x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have acne, and my skin is way better when I use this scrub. It doesn't dry out my skin the way other cleansers do, so my oil glands don't turn themselves way up and cause problems. Just make sure to rinse your face well before you pat dry.

      If you have sensitive skin also, I recommend testing the scrub on your wrist for a couple days to see how it reacts. The skin there is generally as sensitive as skin on the face.

      Delete
  5. I love DIY scrubs! Can't wait to try it - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kari
    thanks for sharing this, love to try anything that is natural and homemade.

    ReplyDelete